I remember now
I remember now

To remember local veterans who have made the ultimate sacrifice, our local community holds a memorial service in the local township cemetery. Their names are read according to the war they participated in.

After watching a small parade on Main Street, all the onlookers gather at the small cemetery where designated people read the list of fallen veterans who are buried there.

As my family and me sit there patiently, many thoughts go through my head. The human part of me wants to question itself and ask why should I sit there and listen to all the names being read. I catch myself wanting to fidget with my smartphone and get distracted. My brain starts to scatter in my own selfishness as I fight off the temptation to avoid listening to each soldier’s name being read.

In one instantaneous second, I pull myself together and think of the reasons or motives these men and women chose to defend our freedom. They gave up their time and sacrificed their lives so that I get up every morning and enjoy whatever it is that I do in my daily as a father, husband, learner, and teacher. I owe them my salute, reverence, and respect for what they have done for me .